Savannah, GA

I am in love with Savannah, GA. We had a wonderful four days away. Let me take you through our getaway:

August 5, 2011:

  • Drove 2.5 hours from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah, GA.
  • Got lost trying to find our hotel.  Silly GPS said go right but we were supposed to go straight.
  • Checked into The Thunderbird Inn, a hip, retro motel on the edge of the historical district.
August 6, 2011:
  • Clary’s Restaurant for breakfast.  Anyone who is a fan of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil will know this place.  The food was yummy, I had a seafood omelette that was so yummy.  Great cup of coffee as well.
  • Old Town Trolley Tour: A wonderful way to get to know the city and see it.  Our guide Cindy was great.  Took the time to answer my questions. (I’ve been known to ask a lot of questions)
  • Forsyth Park and the famous fountain. We spent a lot of time here throughout the vacation.  This was one of my favorite places.  Makes me think I need to visit more parks in my own city.
  • The Pirate House was next and it was time for lunch.  Still a little full from my omelette I stuck ordered the Soup, salad and Sandwich.  She-crab soup is amazing.  LOVE IT!  They had a buffet and it looked good just not very carb friendly.
  • Back on the trolley, we finished up the tour, down River Street.  Sure, it’s a bumpy drive but it’s pretty 🙂  We didn’t get off the trolley as we were saving River Street for another day.
  • Finished up the trolley tour that brought us back to the Savannah Visitor Center.
  • After a trip back to the hotel to cool down and relax we headed out to dinner at Blowin’ Smoke BBQ.  I had my first taste of fried pickles here.  LOVE THEM!  This place is a definite go to for BBQ.  Portions were good, the pork was yummy it was a nice way to end our day out in Savannah.
August 7, 2011:
  • Breakfast again at Clary’s, so good, had to back a second time.
  • Tybee Island was on the agenda for the day.
  • First we went to Tybee Island Light Station.  We didn’t climb the light house *shrug*.  It was neat though.  Fort Screven was across the street and apparently some of the batteries are now privately own and converted to apartment, supper clubs and the Lighthouse museum.  Interesting.
  • We hit up Tybrisa Street, to park so we could walk out the Pier.  It was hot and there was barely a breeze so we didn’t stay long.
  • Too early to eat lunch we decided to head to Fort Pulaski.  I’m so glad we did this.  I love learning about our nations history.  Also go to see a musket firing demo.  Yay!!
  • Lunch.  Where could we go that would be fun and yummy?  The Crab Shack. What a fun little place.  Very touristy, which I love and Crab legs and shrimp that were perfect.
  • It was really hot that day so not wanting to spend more time outside at the beach/island we headed back into Savannah and drove around.
  • One of the places that we wanted to see what The Mercer House.  Again, if you are a fan of the book/movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil you have got to see find the Mercer House.  We didn’t take the tour inside but we did walk the block and check out the carriage house gift shop.  We tried to figure out where the character “John Kelso” stayed but could never find the carriage house that was in the movie.
  • Back to the hotel for another cool down session and relaxation.  It is vacation, right?
  • Dinner time means we have to decide where to go.  Not bringing any “fancy” clothes we opt’d for casual dining at The Cotton Exchange.  Food was good and the parking on River Street wasn’t too bad, although it was Sunday night.  Might be worse on Fridays and Saturdays *shrug*.
August 8, 2011:
  • Not wanting to be stuck in a rut, we had breakfast at J. Christopher’s. Although it’s a chain, it seemed to fit right in the historical district.  The restaurant itself was once an old garage.  The coffee wasn’t as good as Clary’s but the food was good.  Really hard to mess up breakfast food.
  • We had set this day for River Street.  We had walked up and down part of it the night before but we didn’t really go into the shops.  So that’s what we did.  It was hot again.  Lots of fluids with lots of stops along the way to get out of the sun.  We had parked up in Emmet Park where the live oaks would shade our car from the Savannah sun.  The only problem with parking up there was the stairs down to river street.  I have been having problems with my thyroid.  I have been shaky and get muscle fatigue quickly in my legs.  I had also been experiencing some vertigo lately which made the thought of stairs a little daunting.  I did it.  I made to River Street with no problems.  Jerry had to help me with a few of them because they were uneven and my short legs didn’t like that.
  • In and out of shops that all pretty much had the same thing.  We didn’t end up buying anything. I was outside sitting on a bench when a palm frond artist gave me a rose that he made.  Told him I didn’t have any cash and he said it was ok, I was deserving 😀  I made Jerry give him money after he came out of the store.  Told the frond crafter that he was deserving because he was creating art.
  • Lunch time at The Shrimp Factory.  If I had to pick one meal that we weren’t impressed with, it would be this one.  The food was…meh….same with the service.
  • Back to shopping.  We had enough.  So I trekked up the stairs with no problem.  YAY ME! Back in our cool-ish car, we decided to just drive around.  We did just that.  In and out of squares.  Back to the Mercer house for a couple more pictures and to try to find that darn carriage house.  Jerry is convinced that it was a set on a movie lot somewhere.  He might be right.  Another look at Forsyth Park and then back to the hotel for a little relaxation before figuring out what to do for dinner.
  • I had been craving more BBQ.  It seems that Monday nights are bad for bbq joints.  One was closed on Monday’s, the other was closed for dinner on Monday’s and the third place’s owners were on vacation until the 16th.  WHAT??!?? So now what are we going to eat? We headed back to River Street, this time parking right there. (Free after 5pm and easy to find a spot on a Monday night)  We had settled on Huey’s. Of course when we got there, we weren’t 100% sure and decided to walk up the street to see what everyone else had.  We’d approach each place and giggle as they all were a little pricey.  Even chuckled at one place that had the price written out so you weren’t quite as shocked at the prices.  Nothing was really grabbing us so we headed back to Huey’s.  I’m glad we did.  The food was good, although the portions were too big.  Jerry had the Red Beans & Rice and I had the Jambalaya Pasta.  Both, were super yummy!
August 9, 2011:
Time to head home.  We stopped at Cracker Barrel on our way out of town to make the 2.5 hour trip home.  A wonderful long weekend in Savannah, GA indeed!!
You are welcome to check out some of my pictures. My Kodak camera died the first day, so most of these pictures were taken on my Droid 2-R2D2 phone.  Not the best quality.
Tybee Island and Savannah, GA 2011

Leave a Reply